Evangelical - What I mean
I am what might be called an 'Evangelical' Christian. But this should be understood as follows, and NOT in terms of normal connotations. For example, I am NOT right-wing in politics nor fundamentalist in belief. Here is what I mean by 'evangelical':
- High view of the Bible as written version of God's revelation
- Emphasise the need for personal relationship with God
- Jesus Christ seen as really good news for 'salvation',
not just a religious happening
- Christ's death and resurrection are central to this
- Emphasis on need for us to tell this good news to all
- Therefore a strong emphasis on preaching, teaching
Some weak points of the evangelical tradition include:
- Tendency to over-emphasise doctrinal belief
- Tendency to de-emphasise God's creation
- Tendency to over-emphasise preaching, especially traditional
British forms thereof
This page is offered to God as on-going work. Comments, queries welcome.
Copyright (c) Andrew Basden 2009. But you may use this material subject to certain conditions.
Part of his www.abxn.org pages, that open up discussion and exploration from a Christian ('xn') perspective. Written on the Amiga with Protext. Number of visitors to these pages: .
Created: 18 May 2003.
Last updated: 1 January 2009 .nav, .end.